Participation and Involvement in Patient Care
Led by board certified plastic surgeons Burton Sundin MD and Reps Sundin MD. The Virginia Institute of Plastic Surgery is dedicated to helping patients achieve their personal appearance goals by providing the highest quality of medical care tailored to the individual patient needs.
Dr. Burton Sundin understands that your surgery is a very personal decision and prides himself in taking the time to work with each patient to provide them with the highest level of medical care.
Meet Washington D.C. Plastic Surgeon Dr. Burton Sundin
Dr. Burton Sundin treats his patients with compassion and understanding and is more than happy to give each patient time and consideration, especially in dealing with their particular problems, issues and concerns.
People have different needs and Dr. Burton Sundin maintains a confidence and assuredness to be the most accommodating and comfortable with everyone. Unhurried and willing to tackle any and all types of questions, consultation with Dr. Burton Sundin is a rewarding and learning experience.
- Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery, 2006
- Duke University School of Medicine: MD, 1997.
- Duke University: BS, Biology; BA, Art History, 1993.
Magna Cum Laude
Phi Beta Kappa.
- Norfolk Academy, 1989.
- Duke University Medical Center, Division of Plastic, Reconstructive, Oral, and Maxillofacial Surgery: 1997-2003.
- Hand Fellowship: Kleinert, Kutz, and Associates, Jewish Hospital, Louisville, KY, 2001.
- Aesthetic and Breast Surgery Fellowship: Dr. Luis Vasconez, University of Alabama Birmingham, 7/2003-7/2004.
- Self-employed, Virginia Institute of Plastic Surgery, PC (Dr. Sundin’s Private Practice): 7/1/2008-Present
- Retreat Hospital-Wound Healing Center: Staff, Plastic Surgeon, 8/11/2008-Present
- Charleston Area Medical Center: Locum Tenens Plastic Surgeon, Charleston , WV: 2/2008- 7/3/2008
- Locumtenens.com: 12/2007-Present, credentialed for locum tenens work in plastic surgery
- Richmond Plastic Surgeons: Richmond, VA, 8/20/2004-8/8/2007.
- Sundin B, Hussein M, Glasofer S, El Falaky M, Abdel Aleem S, Sachse R, Klitzman B: The Role of Allopurinol and Deferoxamine in Preventing Pressure Ulcers in Pigs. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 105:1408-1421, 2000.
- Erdmann D, Sundin B, Yasui K, Wong M, Levin L: Microsurgical Free Flap Transfer to Amputation Sites: Indications and Results. Annals of Plastic Surgery, 48:167-172, 2002.
- Erdmann D, Sundin B, Moquin K, Young K, Georgiade G: Delay in Unipedicled TRAM Flap Reconstruction of the Breast: A Review of 76 Consecutive Cases. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 110(3): 762-7, 2002.
- A Chronically Hypoxic and Ischemic Rat Dorsal Skin Flap: A Novel Model for Wound Healing Studies.
American Microcirculatory Society, 1996.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 1996.
- Delay in Unipedicled TRAM Flap Reconstruction of the Breast: A Review of 76 Consecutive Cases.
Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2002.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2001, Awarded Best Scientific Poster.
- Microsurgical Free Flap Transfer to Amputation Sites: Indications and Results.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2002.
American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgeons, 2003.
- Modification of Fibrous Capsule Formation Around Implants Using TempostatinTM (Halofuginone)
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2003
Presented by Kevin Olbrich, Phd. and Ricardo Meade, MD
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Candidate Member-American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Virginia Medical Society
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
CONSULTING AND EXPERT WITNESSING EXPERIENCE:
- Council Member, Gerson-Lehman Group Online Consulting Platform, 2007-Present
Employed via GLG as expert for various companies, consultations performed via teleconference.
- Plastic Surgery Consultant/ Expert, CosmeticProtect Insurance, Venture Specialty Insurance/Markel Corporation, 2008-Present
Provide expert advice regarding plastic surgery procedures
- Multiple legal cases reviewed- 2006-Present
Provided expert opinions and depositions
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Reconstructive Surgery
- Biotechnology and Medical Devices Related to Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery
- Biotechnology relative to Wound Care and Wound Healing
- Wound Healing
- Pressure Sores
- Hyperbaric Oxygen
- Hand Surgery