Scar Revisions – Dr. Burton Sundin & Dr. Reps Sundin, Virginia
Scars are remaining visible signs after a wound has healed. They are results of injury or surgery that cannot be avoided, and it is difficult to predict their development. It is possible that poor healing may contribute to scars that are obvious, unsightly or disfiguring. Sometimes even a wound that heals well results in a scar that has an affect on your appearance. Scars comes in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. Scars may be raised or recessed, the color or texture may be different from the surrounding healthy tissue or noticeable due to their size, shape and/or location.
Treatment options vary based on the type and degree of scarring and can include:
- Simple topical treatments
- Minimally invasive procedures
- Surgical revision with advanced techniques in wound closure
The point of scar revision surgery is to minimize the scar so that it is more consistent with your surrounding skin tone and texture and less noticeably visible.
Although it is possible that scar revision can provide a more pleasing cosmetic result or improve a scar that hasn’t healed well, a scar cannot be completely erased.
Is it right for me?
Scar revision is an emtremely personalized procedure and you should do it for yourself, not for someone else or to try to fit any sort of ideal image. Scar revision can be performed on people of any age and is a good option for you if:
- You are bothered by a scar anywhere on your body
- You are physically healthy
- You do not smoke
- You have a positive outlook and realistic goals for your scar revision surgery
- You do not have active acne or other skin diseases in the area to be treated