Breast Implant Replacement Surgery
Breast implants replacement surgery involves the surgical replacement of damaged or old breast implants. Silicone and saline breast implants don’t come with a lifelong warranty. And, they need to be changed at some point of time.
The Virginia Institute of Plastic Surgery and Modern Body Contouring & Laser Center, led by board certified plastic surgeons Dr. Burton M. Sundin and Dr. Reps B. Sundin, provide breast implant replacement surgery to patients in and around the greater Washington DC area.
Benefits of Breast Implant Replacement Procedure
These are a few key advantages of getting a breast implant replacement plastic surgery when necessary:
- Restore your breasts to a desired shape and size
- Position the implants in their proper and original location
- Give a lift to your breasts and remove loose skin
- Replace deflated or old breast implants with new advanced ones
Suitable Candidates for the Procedure
You could be an ideal candidate for breast implant replacement cosmetic surgery procedure if you feel that any of the following apply to you:
- You want to enhance the appearance of your existing breasts
- You want to enhance or reduce the size of your existing breast implants
- Your existing implants have shifted and are not positioned in their original position
- You have asymmetrical or uneven breasts
- Your breast implants are ruptured or leaking
- Your implants are more than 15 years old
How is the Procedure Performed?
These are the major steps in a typical breast implant replacement cosmetic surgery procedure:
- Your surgeon will make an incision at the same location as the original incision.
- The old implants will be removed totally. Scar capsule from the previous implants will also be removed completely or partially.
- The scar capsule will be sent for testing
- An adequate amount of space or pocket will be carved once the old implants are removed. The new implants will be placed in the same or a different layer as the old ones. Your surgeon will discuss this aspect of the surgery during the initial consultation.
- The new implants will be inserted and carefully positioned once the new pockets are made.
- The incisions will be closed carefully.
Surgery When You Want to Change the Breast Implant Size
You may want a larger or smaller breast implant size during the replacement surgery. Generally, women who switching to new implants after a few years generally prefer making small changes to the implant size. This is because natural breast size and volume may have changed because of weight fluctuations, breastfeeding, pregnancy, and childbirth.
Generally, the same incision is used for a moderate change in the breast implant size. This is in the armpit, crease, or below the areola. Breast revision procedure is usually less painful, easy, and has a faster recovery.
The breast capsule or pocket may have to be modified for more significant changes in breast size. This would need to be done for accommodating the change in size. Breast lift may be required as an additional procedure in some cases when switching to a smaller implant size. Recovery period in this case would be a little longer.
Cosmetic surgeons at the Virginia Institute of Plastic Surgery and Modern Body Contouring & Laser Center receive patients from the greater Washington DC area for breast implant replacement surgery.
Contact Washington DC area Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Sundin for More Information
For more information on the surgical and non-surgical procedures and treatments by Board Certified Cosmetic Plastic Surgeons Dr. Reps Sundin and Dr. Burton Sundin at the Virginia Institute of Plastic Surgery and M Body Contouring and Laser Centerplease visit:
Serving Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Fairfax, Loudoun County, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Fredricksburg, Chevy Chase, Potomac, Maryland Richmond, VA and surrounding communities.